PRIMARY JOB PURPOSE:
Primarily responsible for effectively acquiring, managing, developing, and growing profitable commercial account relationships involving small to medium sized businesses. Also responsible for originating, underwriting, structuring, documenting, as well as providing other financial products and services. Administers and services a portfolio of commercial accounts within compliance of the Bank’s lending policies and practices. Support the Bank’s strong relationship banking culture through on-going customer contact, quality customer service and superior product knowledge. Represents the Bank in the local community through active participation in community organizations and affairs.
MAJOR AND ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Grow, expand, retain and manage a portfolio of the Bank’s committed capital involving commercial loan borrowers.
- Make regular business development calls to solicit new business or expand services to existing customers.
- Accurately assesses the financial needs of commercial accounts and develops proper loan structures to meet those needs while protecting the Bank from risk of loss.
- Performs effective financial statement analysis and credit underwriting of commercial accounts and properly assigns a risk rating.
- Performs routine administrative activities for accounts including file documentation and profitability.
Develops work-out action plans for all problem loan accounts and executes the plans.
Develops referral relationships within the community to proactively solicit business and conduct sales-related activities.
- Identifies and successfully capitalizes on cross-sell opportunities and makes appropriate referrals.
- Responsible for maintaining a high level of knowledge and understanding of Federal Government banking regulations and the Bank’s credit policies and processes.
- Have extensive contact with customers, the public, and the community, and will conduct relationships in a manner that will enhance the overall marketing effort of the Bank.
- Have a strong working knowledge of all loan and deposit products, cash management services, and short-term cash investment products.
- Work closely with all departments to establish and maintain a complete, comprehensive banking relationship with the Bank’s commercial clients.
This position reports to the EVP Business Banking. The Bank’s Credit Policies will be used as references to guide work. However, most work will be done independently with the incumbent being responsible for managing a portfolio of assigned commercial accounts.
This position has daily contact with customers regarding loan servicing issues including payments, delinquencies, etc. via the phone, in person, fax or written correspondence. The incumbent also interfaces with other Bank employees on a daily basis regarding loan administration, loan maintenance, documentation, computer software issues, etc. via in-person, phone, fax, e-mail or written memos. The person interfaces with outside contacts on a daily basis regarding legal issues, loan closings, etc. via phone, fax and in-person. The person must have excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills.
- At least three to five years of commercial loan and credit underwriting experience is required.
- Good understanding of credit documentation.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software products, able to operate a calculator, and various office machines.
- Strong relationship management and business development skills
- Well-developed analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong financial statement analysis and credit underwriting skills, good understanding of the capital markets
- Thorough understanding of bank loan and deposit products and services
- Ability to work effectively with individuals and groups in managing customer relationships
PHYSICAL, MENTAL, OR OTHER:
Incumbent must use sound judgment and discretion in reviewing, underwriting, and approving loans. Must be able to exercise discretion and apply analytical skills in understanding the needs of and credit risk including repayment abilities of customers.
Must be able to underwrite and manage all loan demands in a timely manner. The incumbent must have excellent written and verbal communication skills as this position interfaces with all levels of Bank management, as well as with the community and local businesses leaders. The person will have access to and knowledge of employees’ accounts, customer information, and the Bank’s finances, so the ability to keep information confidential is extremely important.
The employee will be working in an indoor office setting in a light work situation (exerting up to 20 lbs. of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects).
Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time and be able to occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc. Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity equipment. Employee frequently communicates with employees, customers and vendors. Must be able to exchange accurate information both orally and written.