PRIMARY JOB PURPOSE:
As a member of the front line staff, the teller will be expected to have adequate banking knowledge. Responsible for the efficient operation of the Teller line, assuring quality customer service is provided to new and existing customers. Helps train and coach Tellers for the efficient processing of Teller work and to offer the most appropriate services for the bank’s customers. Manages the cash flow within the bank by verifying cash and checks that have been deposited. Performs the Teller function regularly. Accurately balances a cash drawer and shows ultimate responsibility in handling cash and bank securities daily. Assists other Tellers with questions and problems and makes decisions and approvals pertaining to more complex transactions.
MAJOR AND ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Operates a teller window, greeting customers, accepting deposits, cashing checks, issuing cashiers checks and providing other teller services to meet customer’s needs. Balances window daily, meeting Bank standards for accuracy and efficiency.
- Inspires teamwork and motivates staff. Gives clear instructions and guidance to teller staff. Trains tellers effectively and assist them with developing new skills.
- Responsible for ensuring the safety of the main cash vault and adequacy of cash-on-hand. Replenishes teller cash and coin supplies as needed. Opens, closes and balances the vault daily and maintains appropriate logs. Buys and sells currency and coin to the Federal Reserve and maintain cash limits.
- Selling Cashier’s Checks/Money Orders/Travel Cards to customers as requested.
- Ensures that security and operational guidelines are followed by the Teller staff; assists in judgement calls on fraud and with cashier’s checks.
- Point of contact to problem solve and serve the needs of teller staff, i.e. account transfers, wires, correct debit card issues, online banking, check ordering, pin number issues and answer general customer inquiries regarding their accounts.
- Assists in monitoring issues, recognizing ongoing training issues and reports to RRM & Retail Teller Manager (CTRS, MITRS, REG CC) so that if needed HR/Training is contacted for additional training.
- Completing cash advance transactions, accepting credit card payments, and exchanging foreign cash.
- Answer phones and/or complete telephone transfers when customer service is not available.
- Various other duties as determined by specific branch. May include, but not limited to: operating coin counter and wrapper, branch capture, helping with customer service duties, etc.
- Responsible to become knowledgeable about and adhere to all relevant compliance regulations (as it affects your department).
The person in this position receives daily work assignments from the Regional Retail Manager. Most duties are completed by following established steps and procedures explained in detail in the Teller Manual. This person will need to be capable of exercising independent decisions when determining whether to cash a check, give cash back on deposits, and waiving fees to maintain positive customer relations.
This position has daily interaction with both customers and fellow employees via phone, e-mail, and face-to face contact.
PHYSICAL, MENTAL, OR OTHER:
Must be able to meet daily deadline of balancing within a 15 minute window of time. Must be extremely accurate. Will need to be able to handle stressful situations and function in a very fast-paced environment while remaining calm and precise. Must have excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and enjoy working with the public. Will need to communicate in a clear, concise, and pleasant manner.
May be asked to lift coin bags and boxes up to 50 pounds on a regular basis. May be exposed to noise of coin machine and wrapper on an ongoing basis along with exhaust from the drive-up. Incumbent does stand for most of the day while conducting their job duties. Despite ongoing security training, there is always the possibility of a bank robbery.